Sunday, July 24, 2005

July 24, 2005

Well, another summer weekend down the tubes. This summer is flying by more than ever before. The older I get... well, it's better than the alternative.

Harry Potter was out last weekend, and I suppose that is why I have not written a post in a long time. (Well, I actually read it over the course of 3 days, so I have no excuse for the rest of the time. Perhaps, making up time with the kids after I ignored them for three days!) What is the deal with Dumbledore dying? We will see him again.

We went out as real people a few weekends back... dinner with a few adults, and cocktails afterwards. Of course in the old days, I could have had a few glasses of wine without slurring my words. Not any more.. but Kurt told me I managed to get out of there without saying anything that resulted in embarrassment to any family member or myself, and apparently, I was even pleasant and funny!

My very smart 2 1/2 year old daughter who has not stopped talking since the day she said her first word (and has long been into the complete and complex sentences mode, as well as having known colors and numbers forever) went to the pediatrician the other day. The doctor asked her numerous questions which she answered with nods or shakes of her head. The doctor asked her what color a few things were...silence. She asked her to count to three (three!) and...silence. She asked her to count a few circles and...silence! So we went away with the doctor thinking she was mute and not too bright! And she has not stopped talking SINCE she left the office that day.

Max spent a few days at grandma's this week, and we were surprised he did not cry or put up a fuss. He loved getting full attention, and was not that happy to see is sister when he got home! He used to love her so much, now he has a taste of what it is like not to be overpowered in every step of life! Poor second child. (Kurt and I are both seconds, so we feel for the boy.) When Max was at Grandma's house, I took Nicole to a pool/sprinkler event with our playgroup, and boy did she have fun! It was nice not to have to leave early when Max started crying for naptime...she was traveling in a small pack of little girls and she was loving every minute of it. Anyway, Nicole did not strip down naked so there is hope for her yet.

We spent last Saturday night eating dinner outside in Rittenhouse Square in my beloved city, Philly and we spent this Saturday night eating dinner outside in West Chester. Of course, dinner outside is always a chore these days. After Nicole's fear of bugs came out, we had one too many bouts of hysterics and now Max has caught on. Now, any time and everywhere he sees a bug he screams BUG and points and swats and cries and I don't know which one is more hysterical. Thank you Nicole, and thank you Grandma. (Well it is actually funny because Nicole feels bad that she got Max scared so through her tears and screams she says, "it won't hurt you Max! It's just a bug! Just floo it away, Max" as she cries and flails to get away from it!) I am making a new rule that only one baby can be screaming at the same time, we'll see how that works out.

We went to brunch yesterday to celebrate a belated father's day for Kurt's dad. Max screamed his way through the entire lunch, we think because he is a little scared of Kurt's dad because he is a big guy! It was a horrible experience, we stayed for almost 2 hours, and Max screamed for at least 1 1/2 hours of it... and cowered in his high chair for the rest of it. For good measure, he screamed at Kurt's brother as well, another big guy. Of course, as soon as we got out of there, he was happy as a clam and all was well in Max's world. And he did not even care that I ended up with a red jello stain on my WHITE, silk, dry-clean-only shirt, the only nice thing I have bothered to buy since the kids were born! Won't bother again, of course. My fault, I should have known better.

No comments: