Thursday, August 06, 2009

TRI AGAIN?
The disastrous day that was my triathlon has come and gone, and I still can't get past it. The swim was canceled for safety reasons (the thunder, lightning and torrents of rain probably had something to do with it) but it was replaced with a run, so we had to do a run-bike-run...a duathlon, NOT a triathlon! I managed to finish the race, in pretty poor weather conditions, before the race was called 1/2 way through it, as the sky let loose and dumped 4 inches of rain in an hour. Or so I was later told. Because as I was standing there, it seemed to me that there was a lot more rain than that---but the scarier part was the thunder/lightning, the streams of water running by, and the mud and puddles up to my knees...and being unable to find my ride, or any friends or familiar faces. I did eventually find them...and everyone I knew did manage to get out of there OK (there were some girls who were taken out on stretchers in ambulances!)...and the skies did eventually clear and the scariness of the day dissipated and was replaced with disappointment. I learned to swim for this race! I trained for a triathlon, not a duathlon! My times for the day were OK, but had to have been affected by the weather! And so, I have decided that I WILL do this race again next year. But I also don't want to wait that long to conquer a swim in the river, and so I will be doing a smaller triathlon in the area in September. After all, it can't be any worse than this day was! But if I wake to any sign of rain that morning, I will NOT be getting out of bed!

No comments: