Friday, November 14, 2008

SIX
A favorite A.A. Milne poem:
When I was one, I had just begun. When I was two, I was nearly new. When I was three, I was hardly me. When I was four, I was not much more. When I was five, I was just alive. But now I am six, as clever as clever, so I think I'll be six forever and ever!
My little girl turned six this week, and she is as clever as clever...I do wish she would stay six forever and ever! I am not feeling overly sentimental about this birthday, nor do I feel like these years flew by that quickly, but I wouldn't mind her staying young for a little while, starting right about now. I know she is on the brink of developing in so many ways and branching off in so many directions, but right now, can't we hold on to the innocence, enthusiasm and happiness of youth? Can I keep her from seeing any negativity in our world for just a little while longer? Can I keep her away from the realities of criticism, cattiness and cliques on a smaller level, and from death, destruction and wars on a larger scale? I know I can't keep the clock from ticking, but I know I WILL try to appreciate and enjoy every moment that I can with her, so that when she does have to face the negativity in the world, she will want me by her side as much as I want to be there!

2 comments:

Shannon F. said...

So sweet. I feel the same way. Happy birthday Nicole!

Kelly said...

Happy 6th Birthday Nicole!