Saturday, October 03, 2009

SURPRISE!
In August, I looked at a calendar, and realized that Kurt's birthday was coming at me fast---and it was a big one! He was going to be 50 at the end of September! Kurt (now known as "Pop-pop") needed something good for his birthday, so I thought a surprise party was in order. His favorite local establishment is Victory Brew--and after much discussion with them, they convinced me to have the party at my house, rather than at the restaurant, and they would cater! They would set up tents, tables and chairs, grills, and kegs in my yard; they would supply buffet tables, chafing dishes, lights for the tent, plates, napkins, waitstaff and everything I needed. I signed on, sent invites out, and plotted secretly for over a month, all the while not knowing whether Kurt was onto me---and all the while hoping for nice weather.
The rain started the second I stepped out of the movie theater with Kurt the evening of his party. Many of the guests had started to assemble back at our house at that time. I saw the drizzle and told myself it would stop in a minute---then it came down harder, and harder as we were driving home! I had to laugh, because the rain has destroyed so MANY days for me this summer, that this should have come as no surprise! But what WAS a surprise was the party back at our house---Kurt had NO idea and was completely surprised to see his family (some came from far away--thanks Kathy and M & M!) and years worth of friends in our kitchen when we got back to the house! He was even more excited when he learned that his favorite restaurant was catering --- and there were Victory hamburgers and a Victory keg in his own yard! It was a wonderful night with family and friends---I can only hope I made it a memorable 50th birthday for my honey!

Sadly, I didn't get everyone in pictures, and I didn't get pictures of the beautiful, water-logged tents!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a great party, and fun was had by all. Way to go sis-in-law!!!