Friday, February 13, 2009

INDECISION
For almost two weeks now, I have been thinking constantly about something, and I need to make a decision! I keep going over the pros and cons in my head, and I have certainly passed the point where any new thought or idea is going to arise and weigh on this decision in either way. In other words, I need to decide right now whether I am going to do something a little outside the box, and train for, and participate in an all-female mini-triathalon in August. Right now I am probably in the best cardiovscular shape of my life, (although I have certainly looked better in my younger and pre-baby days!)---and I just turned 42 years old last month (OUCH!). If I don't do it now, when will I ever do it?? But here is the kicker for me: I have to swim. I never learned how to swim! I would have to swim 1/2 mile (35 laps!)---in the Schuylkill River (YUCK!)! So I have to get over my apprehension in the water, take some lessons, and do a lot of swimming in the next few months! The other legs of the triathlon are biking for 15 1/2 miles (although I haven't biked outside in a number of years, I feel like I can train for this) and running for 3.1 miles. I don't run at all, but I think that is also something I can learn to do over the next few months. But swimming? Yikes. There are a lot more pros and cons racing around in my head, but the swimming is the big one that will make or break this decision! If I don't decide soon, I will drive myself crazy!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

You rock Patty! I know that you can do it. Think of how great you will feel afterwards. Swimming is definitely hard work but easier than any of those darn boot camp classes you love:) Well if you do decide to do it you can count me in if you want an audience cheering you on!

Anonymous said...

Jen, thank you SO much for your words of encouragement and support! It really means a lot! Still no closer to a decision yet...
Patty

Anonymous said...

Oops, that didn't come out quite right! I didn't intend for that to sound like your words of encouragement didn't help---they definitely do---I just can't make up my own mind and I am driving myself crazy!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm not up there in PA...I was a certified lifeguard when I was a young pup. Hang in there. It's pretty easy once you make your mind up to learn.