Sunday, July 05, 2009

ANOTHER RUN...
Ok, so I may have been bitten by the 5K bug, just a little bit! Another one down! Erin (my pacecar from my first run) and I started our day out a little too early, again! I'm pretty sure I was barely awake at this point, when Kurt snapped our pic.

Wow, this was a big one! We're somewhere in the crowd, although I couldn't tell you where!
I kept up with Erin for a while---here we are passing Firecreek in Downingtown---but I had to stop to take a breath at some point along the way, and I lost her quickly in the crowd!Here I am nearing the finish line---it was a hard run for me. The roads were relatively flat, but I wasn't feeling great almost from the outset. I had to stop and walk a few times along the way. I got some energy back when I turned a corner and saw a finish line in sight, a ways up. I was surprised, but I ended up beating the time in my last race, by about 30 seconds. Results: I came in number 402 out of 867 runners. My timing chip time was 28 minutes 12 seconds, and my gun time was 28 minutes 21 seconds (please don't ask me to define these, because I still have no idea!). My pace was 9 minutes 6 seconds per mile. I came in 15th out of 54 runners in my age group (females 40-44 years old) and I came in 130th out of 413 female runners, every age. I was miserable during this run, and as soon as I finished, I vowed that I would never run another one as long as I lived. I don't know what compelled me, mere minutes later, to tell my friend that I was going to look for one more in the next few weeks! I hate running and I struggle through it. There's no explanation other than I've been bitten by the 5K bug!!
We signed Nicole up for the kids 1K Fun Run. (Max assured us a number of times that he had no interest in running.) As soon as Max ran into one of his best preschool friends, wearing a race number for the Fun Run, Max pleaded with us to sign him up for the run! We couldn't turn him down. His friend's sister and Nicole became fast friends the last time they met, so we had a very happy foursome preparing for their run!And they're off...They had to run to a cone and back (the distance wasn't even close to the touted 1K) and Kurt and I are quite proud that both of our kids came in almost dead last. Kurt told them to hit the books because there will be NO athletic scholarship in their future! I ran with Max and was pulling him back to the finish line, not even realizing that Nicole was actually behind us! She really did start out strong!
Everyone is a winner in the Fun Run, and the kids proudly showed off their medals!

Yay for us!


I should note that Jack was screaming that he could not run with his brother and sister. Daddy didn't bring sneakers for him, and there was technically no category for a 2-year old. He was not a happy 2-year old! If I had to bet, Jack would have placed top three in the 5 and 6 year old race, or at the very least, he would have outpaced his 5 and 6 year old siblings by a mile!

No comments: