Monday, August 25, 2008

BURNING MAN BIRTHDAY
Happy Birthday to my sis, Happy Birthday to my sis! Happy Birthday dear Lynn, Happy Birthday to you! Today is my sister's birthday, and I would call her instead of posting, except that her cell phone won't work. She is in the middle of the Nevada desert. Attending the Burning Man Festival. (Not that she has a wireless router nearby either to receive this birthday message, one would have to assume!) I had never heard of Burning Man before she attended last year, but I did a little research, and found only that there is no single experience or description for it. It seems to mean something different to everyone who attends -- up to 48,000 people every year! It is a festival that people prepare for all year. They go to the desert, camp out in 100 degree temperatures for the week ending in Labor Day, celebrate freedom of expression, display art and creativity, and dress to express themselves in a place that ignores race, class, and social standing. There is an official website, at http://www.burningman.com/. I read a lot of it, but still can't understand the experience fully, and I assume I never will unless I see it first-hand.

So, my sister (older sister!) packed up her paintings, her boyfriend, her dogs (who she dropped off at my dad's in Colorado...a little out of the way when driving from Texas to Nevada!), her fun and funky clothes and the rest of her creativity, and took off to the Burning Man. Hope you're enjoying your birthday, dear sis!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THanks sis for the greeting and birthday comments! It was craziness- I mean getting there, and driving home, and the two (one extremely severe) dust storms in between, though the festival itself was perfectly amiable.

I could have gotten your greeting at the single wireless center set up in center camp, but who wants to lug a computer on a bicycle, a bumpy, sandy mile or so away from our campsite, and have it covered in dust on the way, in sweltering heat. I passed.
THanks again!