Wednesday, August 27, 2008

UPS AND DOWNS
No mincing words...I like it, I really like it! After one coat of paint, I am very happy! What a difference already! A quick picture, and I'll move on to my more important topic. OK, two pictures, day and evening.

And I forgot to mention that the one "what if" that I failed to think about last night came up today, when the painter nicely asked, "what color carpet are you putting in?" Umm, carpet, well we hadn't even thought about that, and it's certainly not in the budget right now, but thank you for mentioning it, because I will forever think that the carpeting really does not look good with the wall color! Great.

My sweet little daughter will be starting Kindergarten this year, and she has been increasingly nervous about it as the day approaches. She is afraid of the school bus, afraid of a new teacher, afraid of a new school, afraid of a new classroom, afraid of not knowing anyone in her class (except for her "boyfriend" from preschool who has been in her class for the last 3 years and is now in her kindergarten class as well) and afraid of getting lost, and I am sure I am missing one or two more. I have to add that Nicole is a pretty social girl, but can get shy in certain situations.

We had orientation for kindergarten tonight, and Nicole has been nervous, upset and beside herself all day. I was thinking that once we got there and she met her teacher and other students and saw the classroom, she would feel better...not so! She has been on the verge of tears all night, and she held onto my hand almost the entire night. I have said all the things that I am supposed to say ...and more...to comfort her, but nothing is working. We just found out that one of our neighbors is in her class and the little girl was friendly and excited at orientation, and I thought that would make her feel better...but no. A little girl from preschool that was in another class last year will be in her class. Although they didn't really know each other, they recognized each other right away. I thought that would help...but no. I recognized a mom that I had met a few years ago, and her daughter will be in Nicole's class, so I introduced them right away and I thought that would make her feel better...but no. To make matters worse, we were told that the kids had to wear sneakers to school...and won't be able to wear dresses a lot of the time, and her face fell. I don't know WHAT I am going to do with her... my dress-loving-refuse-to-wear-pants-or-shorts-and-only-girly-shoes girl is not happy. I know after a few days or weeks, she will love school! She will have friends! She won't want to leave! But she doesn't know that now, and I don't know how to convince her of that beforehand. And, I have no idea how I will get her on the bus that first day of school!

1 comment:

Jeanine said...

Patty,
Molly has been telling me about you and your family for several years. It was nice to have the opportunity to see your family through your blog. We love Molly and Norm, they have a special place in our hearts. Now I have a little blonde headed face to go with your Jack's name! I have my own little toe head Jack, and he adores "Grandpa Norm".
Just over 2 weeks and 174 miles to go. Thank you for your kind words! Jeanine