Thursday, August 14, 2008

TIME FOR REFLECTION

This week has me really thinking. I sit in sadness as I write. Earlier in the week, I went to a funeral for a friend's mom. She was too young to pass, and there is an image in my head of my friend, her dad, and her sister walking out of the mass arm-in-arm, tears streaming down their faces, which brings me to tears every time I think of it.

Also, this week is the one year anniversary of the death of my dad's wife's (Molly's) daughter, Christy, who was so so very young. Christy touched a lot of people during her time in Denver, and friends and strangers who offered up help to Christy and her boys (Lalo and RJ) during Christy's illness are now offering more support for her boys on the one-year anniversary of her death. They formed a relay team to raise money to support a Denver facility that helps kids who have lost a parent. Christy's memory is honored, and Christy lives on through her friends and family. Here are some excerpts from the letter sent to Molly:
  • Hi Folks,
    ...I have the most amazing team of women, most of which are new to running. ... We are 11 women ranging in skill from just picking running up 8 weeks ago to the true runner that just today completed an Olympic Triathlon. We will run a total of 174.2 miles. We will run at elevations reaching 13,500 ft, through creeks, down mountains, up mountains, during the night and maybe even in the snow.

    We will run hard, sweat lots and have fun, most importantly we will be raising money for Judi's House! Judi's House is a Grief Center in Denver for children that have lost a parent or sibling. It is a safe place they can go to work through their sorrow. Judi's House is a charity near and dear to my heart, as it is a place where RJ and Lalo attend. It has also become special to our team, both families from the salon and Woodrow Wilson where I first met Molly, Christy and RJ. ...
    Every dollar we raise is in Memory of Christy Dobbins! ... Thank you all for your support and encouragement, you are all blessings to our team.

    Jeanine

So, kiss your parents, tell your friends and family that you love them, often, and take time out of your busy day to let the small things really count. Life is too short and there are unexpected turns around every corner.

No comments: