Sunday, July 13, 2008

I HAVE A PROBLEM

I have a problem, that I have had forever. Anyone who has ever met me more than one time knows that I have a problem. I have tried to work on this problem time and time again, to no avail. I WEAR BLACK. All the time. Usually head to toe. Sometimes there is a splash of white in my wardrobe. If you EVER see me in any color other than black, know that I am uncomfortable in what I am wearing, and partially to substantially consumed by the "uncomfortability" of the outfit...any outfit...that is not black! When people used to comment on my wearing black all the time, I would make a joke like "yes, black like my soul," or make a joke about having laundry that's easy to sort. I used to get called Johnny Cash by a co-worker. But it is no longer a joke, no longer something I will grow out of. It is a problem. I just started telling my neighbor about my wearing black problem, and started it off with something like "I wear black a lot..." and she said "YOU wear BLACK???" Sarcasm received loud and clear.

So what do I do? It's not that I don't like other colors. I see other peoples' clothes and say to myself (or them) "oh what a nice purple tank top she is wearing." But when I go to the store and look at a purple tank top? I say--"this is SO not me. Oh, here is a nice black sweater"... and I try it on, and voila, my black wardrobe builds. Sometimes I think that I need a personal shopper or style consultant to accompany me on a trip to KOP. But I know deep down I would not follow their advice. I don't think I am ready for a change...I think I love my color. Not because of how it makes me look, but because of how it makes me feel!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I wear black all of the time too.
I try to brighten up with a colorful bag or a funky shoe.

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, whatever happened to that beautiful blue cashmere sweater I bought you 2 xmasses ago? next time I come there, point me in the direction of the correct goodwill.
So, you in black? but you were never that little punk rocker I was growing up! If I can go color- ANYONE can. Of course, it's damn hot in Texas in the summers.....