Thursday, July 31, 2008

A LITTLE BIT OF TOUGH

I belong to the best gym I have ever set foot in, by far. ACAC Fitness and Wellness Centers (http://westchester.acac.com/) has a LOT to offer everyone, babies and kids included! Thursdays for me is boxing day. You go in, wrap your hands with boxing wraps, put your boxing gloves on and get ready for a great workout. I know there are naysayers saying "come on, women in a gym in boxing gloves?" Especially when they see that many women have PINK boxing gloves! But all I have to say is "try it some time!" The instructor frequently says (shouts) "check your suburban housewife at the door!" when class is beginning. Instilled with a little eye-of-the-tiger, we run around in the gym for an hour, sometimes punching air, sometimes the instructor's mitts, sometimes sand bags, sometimes we run crazy sprints across the gym, sometimes we jump rope, boxer-style. And at the end of the hour, I am exhausted and more importantly, empowered.

I have to give a shout out to the instructor of the class. Diane Toomey (http://westchester.acac.com/groupexteam.html) is awesome and motivating and I have never encountered any instructor like her. She has a pack of 25 girls or more, myself included, who follow her around to her different classes every day of the week. She keeps everyone (men and women) coming back for more, day after day and week after week!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

one of these days i'll stop being such a chicken and go to class with you!

Kathy said...

Hey Patty,

Mom turned me on to your blog. I love the posts. I've read almost all of them. Don't worry about Kurt bashing...we've known he is the "absent minded professor" for years now. Trivial things like shutting a door (let alone locking it) is NOT on his radar. But we love him anyway.

I like the playlist too!! Kudos on your music choices.

Gotta go...Love, Aunt Kathy

Sarah said...

I am with Shannon... one of these days I'll gym it up with you.