Thursday, July 10, 2008

LEMONADE STAND-OFF

Looking back to last post, of course there was no 3rd Christmas reference---because every time you come to expect one thing, the exact opposite happens! Thus me sitting here stressing that Jack won't nap. I told the kids we would go to the pool after Jack napped, so I am being bugged constantly about WHEN we are going to the pool, and of course, Jack is up in his crib, banging on walls and NOT going to sleep. I am sure he must be up there laughing at his attempt to spoil our plans.

We took the kids to a "concert on the square" in a local development a few nights ago. It was a really nice atmosphere, music specifically for kids by the music class that the kids used to attend, there were many people we ran into from the kids' school---all of which should have brought a smile to their faces. I expected that Jack would be a sourpuss because it was past his bedtime and because I decided that I would not let him out of his stroller or our arms because he is all over the place all the time. I wasn't expecting much from Jack, but he was a dream!! As for Nicole and Max? Sourpusses. They were whiny, cranky, sat on our blanket and refused to have fun, wouldn't get up to dance to the music like all the other little kids were doing. And what was to blame? Lemonade. It was my fault for setting us up not too far from a lemonade stand...but they had just eaten dinner and had plenty to drink, and I thought they would barely see the stand in their excitement of the music they knew, and the prospect of fun and friends. But, ALL night, they were asking for lemonade. I said "no" the first time and I thought that would be the end of it. They continued on all night. Of course, to make it worse, when they asked daddy his selective deafness kicked in again. He said "sure you can have some" but then realized that he left his wallet home so he had no cash. Of course, he denies hearing the 1000 times I had already said "no" and now the kids were doubly mad because I had the money, but refused to buy them lemonade. The entire night was consumed by a lemonade standoff. After about 10 minutes, I really wanted to just buy some f*&**&-ing lemonade, but of course, by that time it was the principal of it. They could NOT get their way! So they were miserable, and I was miserable. In debating whether we would go back again, hubby and I agreed that it would have been an entirely different night if not for a stupid cup of lemonade!

No comments: